Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Happy Juneteenth 6/19!!!!


I know I am a day late but it is never too late to celebrate my life, my blackness, and my ancestors

Yesterday was Juneteenth, also known as Juneteenth Independence Day or Freedom Day, which commemorates the emancipation from slavery in the United States. 

In honor of the day, and the critical turning point it represents, we rounded up six facts: 

As historian Henry Louis Gates explains in this post, Juneteenth (a portmanteau of sorts of June and 19th) marks the day in 1865 when the Union Army’s Maj. Gen. Gordon Granger landed in Galveston, Texas, and declared that all slaves were now free.


Read the whole article https://www.fastcompany.com/40586361/6-things-to-know-about-juneteenth-and-why-it-matters-more-than-ever

No comments:

Post a Comment