Basic Renting an Apartment & Room Hustle 101
- Roommates – How many? Students? Couples? Children? Anyone pregnant?
- Transit – Is it close to buses & trains?
- Laundry – Is there a w/d on premise? Is there one nearby?
- Lease - Is there a lease? Can we create a housing agreement?
- Deposits - Any deposits (last month rent)?
- Security - Any security deposit (damages)?
- Pets – Do they allow pets? Any insurance?
- Rent - Does rent include utilities or anything else?
- Utilities – What do they offer?Wifi/water/gas/cable/phoneIs it in the rent or does the bill get divided?
- Guest policy – Are there any guest allowed? Overnight guests allowed?
- Payment – How do I pay my rent? Check? Paypal? Direct deposit?
- Maintenance - Is the house taken care of? Does the owner take care of repairs quickly?
- Lock on door – Can I have a lock? Is it the owners lock or your lock? Spare keys?
- Parking situation – Is it garage, street, paid, free?
- Domestic needs – How close is it to the supermarket/stores/library/Walgreens?
- Quiet hours – Is there a cut off time for noise? Is there a senior or small baby?
- Long or short term living – Can I live here for a few months or a few years?
- Emergency funds –Who can you call on if you need your rent covered?
Things to consider when moving out on your own
- Do you have enough in savings (it is ideal to have at least 3 months of salary saved, in case, you lose your job or something else)?
- What kind of environment do you want to live in?
- Do you have or want a pet?
- Do you need a bank account?
- Need to hire a moving van or need to rent one?
Be wary of Scams
- They are out of town in another city.
- You have to drive by the house and not see inside.
- You can mail them the money and haven't met them in person.
- Get receipts for all payments.